Friday, August 5, 2005

Will it ever grow old?


Will I ever get tired of the lush greenness, contrasted by the rich, orange soil? I'm still trying to process everything I saw today. It's all just a jumble in my head, but I sat in the front seat on the way back, my eyes open despite the dust of the road, just amazed with everything I was seeing.

I can't imagine how I lived my life for so long without experiencing other cultures that are so diverse from our own. Or the things we take for granted.

For example, in Garden City, we were intercepted by an enormous group of schoolchildren who were... get this... riding an escalator for their very first time. They were teaching them proper escalator technique, and safety procedures. They all queued up at the entrance of the escalator, while it was turned off. A security guard lectured them while they waited, giddy in their tiny red and white uniforms and knee socks.

Finally, they turned on the escalator, and they rode up. They were exuberant. But, of course, very safe.

It was amazing to watch.

We had an enormous list of things to do in Kampala, and we had to be back by around one, so we left the house around 7 am this morning. I'm still not used to riding on the left or driving on the lefthand side of the road, but it's the least of anyone's problems because people drive like lunatics.

Kampala's traffic is probably some of the worst in the world as well. So many traffic circles, and bodabodas weaving between cars, and people crossing the streets willy nilly.

The drive to Kampala was absolutely beautiful, because the sun was just coming up and it was shining over the green hills. There was a moment where we came over the crest of a hill, and all I could see for miles was rolling greenness, and I think I probably had my mouth open, gasping, because Debby looked over and was like "it's really something, isn't it?"

We had breakfast at this place pretty early, and watched some news. I also finally got some money from the ATM. Thank goodness.

I thankfully found a grocery store that sold feminine products that weren't made by o.b., which, otherwise, is all you're going to find in Africa.

Oh! There was a man on a bicycle that was a payphone! It was quite funny!

I took lots of pictures to try to give people a sense of what Kampala looks like. Or East African cities, for that matter.

Overall, it was just an exquisite morning. I sort of hoped that I'd be able to illustrate it verbally better.

The big feeling was like you are part of this living, breathing, community. This enormous mass of life. Everything busy. Everything alive. The area around the people is alive too. It grows past their borders, and isn't contained or controlled. Everyone is moving and working.

*shrugs*

Maybe I'll have further illuminations once it's processed in my brain a little better.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment