Thursday, August 4, 2005

Chronicles of a Mosquito


I was flying around Entebbe last night, so hungry for blood!

Our mosquito colony has been so busy thanks to the impending rainy season and you, know, just getting busy, and I need to lay my eggs, so I was on the prowl for some succulent yummy blood.

I was flying through this house near the lake where I'm hoping to lay my eggs, and I went into two rooms and could SENSE blood! But when I tried to fly in for the kill, I was somehow unable. I scanned the perimeter, but there was some mesh that was impeding me.

I ventured into a third room, positive that I'd have to fly ALL the way to another house, and I was feeling pretty upset.

I saw the mesh hanging over the blood source again. Just for kicks, I went through my routine of scanning the perimeter... and, what's this?

There was an OPENING! It was probably only a foot wide (I'm a US-based mosquito. I don't use the metric system) but it was PLENTY big for me!!

So, I flew in and YUM! Juicy delicious blood! I figured, hey, this is sweet! So I buzzed to my girlfriends to come and take a bite as well! (I think I made the call when I was over the "ear")

Trudy, Beth and Serena all came over, and they were HUNGRY! Serena alighted on the thigh, and I think she had some sort of deficiency, because she tried biting three times within a one inch space before she finally "got it"

Joyce and Hildegaard finally came over after about 10 minutes, because, well, they're slow like that.

And the six of us had a right feast! I'm surprised that that human had any blood left at all once we were done.

Our bellies almost too full to fly, we made our way very slowly back to the Lake, where we laid our eggs.

But we'll be sure to tell all our friends AND our newly hatched children where to go for the best blood in town!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment