Wednesday, August 3, 2005

The Rest of the Endless Evening

Anyway, I want to cover my bases. Plus, all the relatives that are reading this don't need to read how drunk off my ass I got.

So, we're at the Lake Vic at the bar, and we're sitting J, L, Me. I'm sitting next to this flight attendant who flies for Safair. He's totally doofy looking and has got huge metal braces, and he's totally trying to hit my shit. 

I'm sort of mocking him, mostly because I can, and also because I'm just not interested at all. Eventually, I migrate away from him towards J and her friend G, who wants to work for CSWCT.

J is dying to go to Kampala, to see her friend "Nobert" who is soon moving to the UK to be with his muzungu wife and son. To my horror, L invites Gavin the Doofy Steward to come with us, and they're holding hands on the way to the taxi stand, and we go to get into the car, and J just takes the front seat, with the claim "I get car sick". So me, who's got the biggest ass of the bunch, is stuck in the back seat with G, L and Gavin. J, who's a waif, is in luxury in the front.

What's worse, L and Gavin start making out in the car and like, fondling each other. I'm sitting next to L, and Gavin is drunk, and he keeps inadvertently fondling ME! GAH!

FINALLY we get to Kampala, to a pub called "Bubbles O'Leary"... basically, a haven for Whiteys. I think every white person in Uganda was there.

I was already buzzing, because I'd had 3 drinks at Lake Vic, but Gavin bought me another Bell at Bubbles and then bought all of us shots. So, now, well, I'm drunk.

I start talking to this dumpy 40's-ish guy who works security at the UN merely because he looks like he could use someone to talk to. Eventually I skitter off, and befriend another J and this girl B, who work in Kampala, J for the IPS. 

They're heading to Rouge, and they've got Nobert in tow, so we follow. Rouge is BUSY and HOPPING. Really. I spend some portion of the evening scoping out this guy who looked like a total dork, but didn't actually feel compelled to talk to him. I danced quite a lot, but still felt slightly out of place.

L and Gavin disappeared after a time, and J was with some tall handsome guy. Although he was the excuse for coming to Kampala, we saw little to none of Nobert, so [shrugs] don't ask me about that either ;). 

I had oodles of fun dancing, because they played a nice mix of Ugandan music and white pop/dance music. I loved the dancing, and danced with J 1, J 2, G, B, and really, just anyone who was around. Usually when I go out, it reminds me of my teenage years, and makes me feel a little old.

But at Rouge, I didn't feel old. I felt new. Because I wasn't rehashing old memories... I was dancing at a nightclub in KAMPALA, UGANDA... in AFRICA. Like... when have I ever done that before? ;) 

I got pawed a bunch on the dance floor, and this one guy just wouldn't take the hint as I found excuses to dance AWAY from him. I went to sit down, because it was just too warm, and he came over to try to mack. THANK GOD G came over and scared him away. But then, I think, because I was so grateful to see him, that G got sort of the wrong idea.

Also, he was probably drunk too! It was around 3 am, and I'd drunk all I wanted to. I'd eaten almost nothing during the day and had drunk quite a lot, so my stomach was feeling mega funky.
I'd also danced just about enough for the next month. I was sweaty, and tired, and I said so to J.

Now, J complained while her dad was here that he had endless stamina and that he kept her out too late. I hoped this meant that she was reasonable. After all, we'd been out in Kampala for a little over 3 hours, and had been partying since 8 pm. That's 7 hours of fun. Isn't that enough?

So when I came to her, hoping to leave, and she called back to me over the din "It's still early!" I wasn't quite sure what to do. It would be really bad if she hated me and thought I was a party pooper.

I sat down, had some water, and hoped that my stomach would calm down. It didn't, but after about an hour, J was like "Let's go!"

However, she meant going to a third club. As she phrased it to me "Don't you want to go? You might never get another chance while you're here!"

[sighs] So I went to Silk with them. She told us in the cab that there was a 20,000 Ushs cover charge. Whhhhat? That's like, $10. I don't even pay that in the US. 

But we were already there, so J paid the cover with the intention of me paying more of the cab ride on the way home. Or something.


I went to the bathroom, hoping for respite. J had said she wanted to stay at Silk for an hour, so I was resolute that I wouldn't suggest leaving until 5 am. Funnily, the club was all "trendy" and there was see-thru toilet seats with barbed wire inside them.

Also, they showed the fashion channel and there was a LINGERIE show, so they're watching mostly-naked skeletal white women parade up and down the catwalk as their "ambience" on the televisions. Quite odd.

G kept leaning in and saying "Let's tell J we want to leave" and I kept saying "no, no, not until 5 pm"

Around 4:55 am, J asked if we wanted  to tour the whole club. Silk has three levels, one for the "kids", one that's called Silk Royale, and then "Silk Lounge" which is the very exclusive high-end section (that we were in)

So, we walked through and wow, they loved blacklight. Silk Regular had already closed because hell, it was 5 am. I figured, though, that a facility-tour was a perfect end-of-the-evening experience.

I can't imagine I looked good. My stomach was in knots, and I wasn't sure whether I was going to pass out or vomit. I hadn't drunk in about 2.5h now, but I still felt like ass. What was going on?

Once in Silk Royale, J is like "want to stay here a bit?" to which I finally stood up and said "no, I'm really tired. I want to go home"  Then she looks at her watch and is like "Oh, you must be tired because it's 5 am!" and chuckles, as if she just realized it. 

We walk back downstairs, and, as we pass the Silk Lounge again, she's like "Sure you don't want to go in for a bit more?" I really just wanted to scream at her then. Not even Paris Hilton parties like this anymore. Come ON. 

I started walking towards the door with hopes that she'd get the damned hint, but everyone just moved SO SLOWLY. Cabs were rallying for our business, and they were negotiating, and again, I just wanted to scream. I just wanted to GO! 

 Luckily for me, I just fell asleep on the way back to Entebbe. 

I think I ended up paying for all of the cab, which, in retrospect, uh, I shouldn't have had to, but I just didn't care. We came in and I crashed into my bed, thinking that sleep was immediate.


I figured, anyway, that I'd get to sleep late the next day, a Sunday, where nothing was planned.

Ha!

Was I wrong.

At 8:30 am (read: 2 hours after I'd fallen asleep) J's alarm went off. Amazingly, she'd already woken up because she had to pack to go back to the forest. And she'd left her alarm clock on. And she wasn't in the room.

It just went off over and over and over again. She finally came in and turned it off.

Hate. Hate. Hate. Die.

At 10 the dogs started barking, the two puppies playing with each other. I screamed, hoarse and cracking "Shuuttttuuuppp" but they didn't stop.

With people coming in and out, packing, I just gave up. I went downstairs, did email, LJ, etc and had some tea. 

YAY! Precious sleep. preeccciooousss.

So, I went upstairs to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment