Monday, August 1, 2005

The Endless Evening™ (aka Saturday Night)

It all started with a plan to go to "Lake Vic" ...i.e. the Lake Victoria Hotel for dinner. It was, essentially, both Julia and Liz's last night, and we thought it might be nice to go and have dinner.

What I didn't know, was that much, much more was being planned!

Julia had spent the last couple days in Kampala, and she had bought new Belly Beads.
Belly Beads are a traditional Budanga custom, of wear strings of seed beads around your waist, and the more beads you wear, the more womanly "aura" you're supposed to have.

But you have to graduate to new strands, and it's bad luck to have even numbers of strands. Julia had been wearing the same beads since she got to Uganda, which was years ago! She decided it was time for a change, so she had bought strings of beads in Kampala and thought that it would be nice girl bonding to all put some on. 

Which is why I am wearing my very first belly beads. I'll graduate soon, probably! But whee for now!

After that, we went to "eat" at the Lake Vic but really, it was code for "sit in the bar and drink"

Oh, and I forgot to mention that, for the first time since I was in Kampala in 2002, I rode a bodaboda (the motorcycle taxis). In Kampala, there is CRAZY traffic, and really, riding it was terrifying because he weaved between cars and really, I thought I might die. But Entebbe is a much smaller town, and there is almost no traffic, and riding the boda was justexhilarating! The air was cool, and we went fast, and I was this time, wearing pants instead of a skirt! Yay!

Anyway, we got to the bar and there were a bunch of drunk guys from Safair there (another South African Airline). 

I've lost my train of thought. I'll finish this entry in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment