Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Ha!

Someone clearly had a rougher night than I last night during the blackout, because there is candle wax ALL over the toilet seat.

***********

In other news, happy birthday to dshadow!!

***********


The power came back on just as I headed off to a slothful sleep last night after being unable yet again to stay awake for our record Star Wars marathon. Unfortunately, when the power goes out, we turn off all the UPSes in the office because, without power for SO long, they cheep and eventually scream and well, it's horrible and annoying. 

Thus, although power was returned, the router plugged into a UPS wasn't back on, so I couldn't surreptitiously download my 7 emails. Just as well, because, by the time I had woken up, the seven emails had turned into 18. I downloaded 9 of them, but now the remaining nine has turned into eleven!

I feel so loved.

The trouble being, of course, that it's taking forever to get those 11. 

*************

Something that no one ever expects anyone to say who lives in Africa:

I'm freezing. 

Absolutely, totally freezing. After I moved rooms, I had relinquished my guest room blanket, and had been using just a sheet. But last night, I curled into the tiniest ball that I could make and shoved my hands into any warmth that I had left and just chattered through most of the night. 

Today is a big rain day, which means that any day visitors that had wanted to go to the island will just have to wait. It's not safe to travel out on the lake when there's thunder and lightning.

Last night was particularly fun, mostly because it was unexpected. I didn't realize the power had gone off until my mac display settings change. When it's plugged in, the screen doesn't go to sleep for a long time, but when it's on battery power, it goes to sleep probably not even 2 minutes after your last input. Ohhhhh teh d0rk. 

Another evening without power seemed so unappealing, and Terry was planning on going to Lake Vic for dinner, so I just decided I'd come along!

Lake Vic, being a big hotel, has tons of generator power, so an outtage there is really no big deal. So, we walked over, and ate some food.

I ran into Gavin, the guy Liz had picked up Saturday night, which was ass-awkward, especially considering he was already wooing another young fool. Those airline stewards! They hide under the cover of effeminacy, but really, they're dangerous! 

Also, the power just went out. Damn. I'm told that a daytime outtage usually spells doom because it means they're "working on the line" during the day and it'll be out until 6 pm. Hmph. 

I'm glad I got most of my net stuff done this morning.

Okay, back to last night. After dinner we boda boda'd to the Four Turkeys. I got my second marriage proposal since I've been here from my driver, but for some reason, I still have no urge to be Mrs. Boda Boda.

The Four Turkeys is basically a bar with a pool table in the back. We went and had two more drinks, and had great discussions about mostly everything. It was nice to have conversation. *thunder crack*

We looked for boda bodas to take home, but there were none, so we walked a bit and finally a single guy came and I hopped on, after trying and succeeding with some price negotiation.

I got home, and the power was still out and Annie had waited up for us, worried that I didn't have a key to the front door gate (I did) but it was so nice of her to do. I've been in her shoes!

We headed upstairs to the common room and started on Hoth, but it was sadly not to be, as both Terry and I started falling asleep before even seeing an Imperial Walker. Not a good sign!

Either way, it was quite a nice night. Provided the power returns, we'll watch Empire again tonight! 

And today, I need to figure out what work I'll do with no power. Bah. Stupid Outtage.

No comments:

Post a Comment