Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Rocky First Day

I had my official first day of work today. I planned to pick up my first Long Stay Visitor.
Liz told me that she was coming tonight at 9 pm. But when we got a call this morning saying she was waiting on the pier to go to the island, it was rather surprising.

As it turns out, she was supposed to get here on Saturday and there was just some sort of miscommunication between she and Liz.
So, we didn't have accommodation for her on the island, and things were a bit manic and frantic. 

Oh, and into that having to negotiate all this while in the middle of the staff meeting!

If I was expecting more respect here than I got before, I was mistaken. I don't know whether it's an African thing or whether it was because I was super new and junior, but people just kept talking OVER me. Like, not even interrupting. It was as if I wasn't talking.
And yea, it was a little unsettling.

Overall, lots for me to do but I really do just have to sit down and suss everything out first.

I was also pleased to finally find a way to upload pictures, too. It brings things full circle.

What I didn't expect was being called to dinner around 7! I guess it's because of Debby's return to the house, and my unfamiliarity with it, but she cooks dinner and we sit out on the veranda and eat and drink wine.

MY GOSH was it fun. We laughed and laughed, and Debby told absolutely wild stories about her incredibly interesting life, and really, I think it might be the most fun I've had since I got here.

Also, it was far better than my usual dinner of Nothing. 

So, I intend to do some real work today, and maybe tonight finish the third episode of the webcomic.

I'm glad people enjoyed the pictures! I'll endeavor to take more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment