Wednesday, July 27, 2005

BLACKOUT!

I slept much better last night, but I think it was because I put on my "Thundering Rainstorm" mp3 for Julia (to help her sleep better) and it ended up helping me too.

The sounds in Entebbe aren't as soothing or calming or "special" as they were in Kenya... Also, the mosquitos are sneaky. They don't fly near your ear so you can hear them and swat them. They just bite you. On the butt. Dammit. ::scratches::

So yea, we had a blackout last night. Entebbe is the source of a lot of the power for Eastern Africa, because they use a hydraulics system to pump the water from Lake Victoria to make power. Or rather, make power and then sell it to Kenya and Tanzania. 

Assholes.

Which means, just about every 2-3 days I'm told, we're subjected to "load sharing". Which means that our power goes out so that the load on the system is less. It comes back on at 11 pm, but by then, most people have gone to bed and subsequently turned off all their lights.

Anyway, so Julia and her dad were away having dinner, so Liz came in to visit me in the dark (it sounds really dirty, but it's not) and we actually chatted a lot and discussed the coming year and she was really friendly and chatty and laughy and so was I! It made me feel a lot better. About a lot of things.

It also made me realize that I really need a flashlight. Really. Really really.

**********************

So it turns out that I'll be going to the island today, instead of tomorrow, and that I'll just be staying til tomorrow night. 

Ah, shit, I'll have to finish this entry later. I've gotta go to the island now!

No comments:

Post a Comment