Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Tuesday morning, 7:52 am

Sometimes, merely from a statistical point of view, the people you live with can be assholes. 

Last night was my roommates' night.

Here was the scoop: I had to wake up super early today to head off to the doctor and get my chest x-rayed, to prove that I didn't have TB so that I can go on a chimp forest walk on Thursday or Friday. 

So, while everyone else went off to Kampala (the biggest city, about 1.40h away), I stayed home so I could go to bed early.

I was the only one home, so I was put on puppy duty. I was also put on "open the gate" duty and given the keys to the castle. Ben didn't have keys, so I was to hear him knocking and let him in.

Liz, Julia and her dad didn't have keys, but were coming home far later so I was to hang the keys on the inside of the backgate for them to reach in and use. 

The puppy decided that it was probably not in his best interest to sleep. Plus, he's really bitey, and people have just been encouraging it by playing with him even when he non-play bites them. Bad dog!

I'm too tired to actually try to make the story funny, but the point was - the puppy just didn't go to sleep, Ben just didn't show up, and by the time I was allowed to go to sleep by the puppy around 3am, the Kampala-trekkers were back and in the house.

So they'd be quiet and let me sleep? Right?

WRONG.

Julia lay in bed, chatting on her mobile, and when it rang again 30m later, it took her a good 15 rings to get it (no voicemail here). She chatted loudly! I mean, shit. 

I'm not on spring break here. I don't need to go out and party, but to be stuck with a puppy who won't sleep, tugs my mosquito netting, howls painfully, pizzes on the floor...

No thank you ever again please. I still don't know if Ben made it home, but if you know people are having to stay semi-alert to let you in, doesn't that make you aware? I'm just babbling now.

I have to take a shower and go into somewhere. I don't actually know where, or how close it is. I'm hoping Lilly will get here and tell me. 

Fuck, I'm in a tired, sour mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment