Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sunday, 7:03 pm

I think I've subsisted this entire day on two cokes, a large orange fanta, a popadum (sp?) and 5 biscuits.

I can't think of anything else I've eaten... mostly because I don't think I've eaten anything else.

I've definitely not had any vegetables... Which I should focus on. Maybe go to the market some day this week and get some.

I'm guessing this will be the last leisurely day I have until next weekend ... and next weekend, being Liz's last, might also be crazy since I'll have to learn more more more before she goes.

I finally got to go into Entebbetown today. It strikes me as particularly funny that there's an international airport here, because, really, in comparison to Kampala, there is nothing here. There are about two main streets with shops along them. I walked there with Julia's dad today. I'll learn all the details about the various people, but Julia does fieldwork with chimps, I think, in Kibale or Kigale or something. 
Her dad came to visit her, which I find amazing because I can't imagine my parents visiting me here, and he wanted to go and get a newspaper, so I headed into town with him.

I've been craving someone to explore with, but really, to most of the people here, stuff is old hat.

The walk up to town is literally that -- up! It was a little steep, and a little warm (ha!) and I was so glad for all the sunscreen I'd gotten from various people as I was slowly sweated and baked by the African sun. 

Motorized boda bodas are prevalent here, which I guess distinguishes Entebbe as a bigger town. I was used to regular bicycle boda bodas in Ishecheno, but motorcycle ones are much faster and probably easy since the roads are relatively well-paved. Apparently there must be some misinformation being spread that white people can't walk, because Julia's dad and I got offered rides by no less than 5 matatus and 10-12 boda bodas. I always find that I'd prefer to go around with someone who knows the area to get a gauge on accurate prices, etc. Being a muzungu in Africa, it's easy to get taken for a ride! Oh, I'm so punny (and also tired).

I wanted to take pictures to post online, but I guess since the network is down now anyway and I didn't want to seem like a stereotypical whitey, I left my camera in my bag. 

We stopped in a small grocery store and I struggled to remember what I bought to eat in Kenya... We actually have a fridge here, and I haven't ventured into cooking, but I guess I'll just give myself some time. The fridge here is also remarkably full... something I have to keep in mind before I go off buying things to eat that need to be refrigerated. 
I ended up buying a package of dry pasta, some chocolate soy milk, and a package of biscuits. Oh, and packets of minestrone soup mix. I remembered those from Kenya!

People who know me well will laugh that, in comparison to Kenya where a woman came to hand-wash my laundry, we have a washing machine here and a drying line out back.

Which means... [drumroll] ... I'll be doing all my own laundry. The travesty! [puts hand over eyes]

Ehhehe. Ah, the things that will do me good!

I walked back to town alone since Julia's dad went by boda boda to a nearby hotel to watch the Grand Prix on television, and I wished that I knew more swahili, or that i knew where the hell my swahili disk was. I'm contemplating writing Rosetta Stone once I get net access and seeing if I can get a new copy or something if they'd be nice. It has to besomewhere but seeing as that "somewhere" is in the States, I'm lost! 

Liz finally gave me some stuff to read and study up for our crash course on her job tomorrow. Apparently they use "GoLive!" to code their site, which, [shudder] euuuch. I'll see what I can do about transitioning.

For lack of anything better to do, I started a webcomic called "Muzungu" that sort of chronicles some of the funniness of being super pasty and white in Africa. I made the title screen and the first episode, and I'm rather pleased with it. I hope I can keep it up for the whole year. Muzungu is the swahili word for "White Person". 

I'll post it... if the net ever comes back on!

I feel sort of "in the way" since I don't know where things are or have anything to do or any sense of purpose. I'm sure it'll be easier once I have a job to do, but for now, I'm just idling. I hate walking in on people doing real stuff and feel like I'm imposing. 

Tomorrow should be excellent. And now, I'm starving!!. We're apparently going to dinner in about 20 minutes at the Lake Victoria Hotel. That should be nice! yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment