Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I'm feeling really good. I came out of the web café, after immersing myself in fark and eonline and perezhilton and all the other trashy sites I visit. It could be the same as any other day, but I came out of the internet café and I was in Africa. I mean, I may fritter my life away online, but look where I am! It really got me grinning and happy and cheered me up entirely. So I merrily went on my way for errands.

I got a lot done, and I'm also now officially PO-BOXED.
They give you the third degree to get one. I had to take passport pictures, get someone to "refer" me who had a po box themselves, show where I worked, etc, and then Richard, the project director who met me at the hospital, had to show his ID and sign a bunch of things. You'd think I was registering for a gun or something!

Anyway,
You can reach me at:

Laura Brown
PO Box 172
Entebbe, Uganda



That's it! :D Write me postcards! Letters! I'll be sending out a big mass email whenever my gmail comes back online... but for now, just take that and run with it. Give it to anyone who might be interested, too. I won't get my key til next week, so if you write now, it'll be excellent :D hehe. I'm such a mail whore. 

Also, feel free to send me packages. Just write "BOOKS" or "RELIGIOUS MATERIALS" on them. 

Things I could use: Flashlight
CD-Rs
CD-R slips for mailing, etc

*******************

Going to the hospital today was certainly interesting, and I'm not sure that the X-Ray technician wasn't trying to catch me dressing and undressing to see him some naked muzungu! 

Grade B Entebbe Hospital was certainly... interesting. It definitely warranted an Episode. Maybe I'll work on that now.


So I picked a good day to go and get stuff done, because I came back and Liz is totally wiped from her late night last night. We'll probably get nearly nothing done today, which is sort of annoying, considering it'll give us only one more day to get everything else done.

But, at the same time, it means I get some free time. Yay! Lunch isn't til 1 (about 45 minutes from now) so I can work onMuzungu and try to upload pictures and stuff. Since the connection is actually decent. I haven't been logged off of AIM or Yahoo in like, TEN whole minutes. It might be a record.

Which means that no one is online. You're all assholes :P

*******

Richard the project director is really nice. He's probably around 30's-ish. Very professional and well spoken. We laughed in the car on the way back because I know more Swahili than he does, but he's willing to teach me Luganda, which I'll only be able to use in Uganda but will be much more practical here if I'm gonna be here for a year...

Swahili is the language of the military in Uganda, so the civilians are loathe to know it. Interesting factoid, huh!?

Anyway, I feel a little more social now. 

Now, off to work on Muzungu

No comments:

Post a Comment