Saturday, July 23, 2005

I've arrived!

USA time: 1:46 am

Uganda time: 8:46 am

Wow am I grateful to finally be here. Driving from the airport, looking at the lush greenness of Uganda, I was just filled with smiles and happiness.

I slept pretty much all the way from Addis Ababa; not difficult to do considering that my flight took off at 3 am. They showed us The Pacifier... not like I watched it. Having finished Harry Potter #6 I was inspired to listen to the audiobooks again, most specifically of #5, generously provided by vlamidala

I was worried about arriving at the airport, because I wasn't sure what Lilly, the sanctuary director, even looked like! She had a little sign that said "Laura Brown", though, so once I got through customs and discovered that both my bags had arrived safely and seemingly in one piece (or rather, two pieces) we got into the car and drove to the Chimp House. Not named, of course, for any particular chimps living here, as they're all on the island, but for some other unknown reason.

The house is really beautiful, and, once Liz moves out (I'm replacing her) I'll have my own room!!

There's a veranda out front. And lots of doggies and kitties!! 3 big dogs, two puppies and 2 cats. Lots of loving to go around.

I've been here now maybe an hour, and I'm in one of the guest rooms. I can't fully unpack yet, which, bleh, I'm wishing I could. Liz leaves on the 31st, so I have to learn how to do her job in a week. I can't imagine it'll take even that long.

We're having a BBQ at 3 pm, and I'm going to try to get rested for that. I know I need sleep eventually, but I can't bring myself to close my eyes and miss anything. It's pretty sedate, considering it's a Saturday.

Being here, though, feels really good. I discovered that, while I had a perfect wireless signal, the actual dsl connection was down so alas, I have all these posts and no way to post them! 

It probably is a good time to get some sleep, though, and charge little Allure and the camera.

Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment