Friday, July 22, 2005

WOW

USA time: Friday, 9:34 am

Africa time: 4:34 pm

Estimated time of arrival: 7:11 pm

I went to sleep shortly after my last post, and was just woken up to have some lunch... No more chicken, so I had fish, but it couldn't have kept me from the window view... we're passing over the Desert of Libye and wow, there's just something so awesome and beautiful than nothing but sand as far as the eye can see. 

Last time I traveled over here, it was night, so I couldn't see, and I'm sure some people are snickering that I'm awestruck by "sand," but I think it's the appreciation for Mother Nature that clinches me up.

There's almost nowhere in the US where there is "nothing"... Even in the midwest fields, where there might not be a house or a town for miles, it is still touched. It's cultivated, landscaped, and if you look hard enough you can see a silo or some evidence of human encroachment. 

Every window I look out of on the plane right now is just filled with the view of unharnessed, untouched sand. This place is inhospitable to live in, nearly impossible to travel through. It's one place that humans haven't bended to their will. 

If you ended up here, minus the plane, you would almost certainly die.

I can imagine it's somewhat similar to jnespuxah's trip through Texas. The primary difference being, on a road, someone has been there and made it Human-Friendly.

Anyway, bless the laptop. Being able to journal and not have to transcribe it all later is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment