Monday, July 25, 2005

Net-Stir Crazy


I think this is the longest I've been without the internet in... well, in a damned long time. Today marks uhh... 4 days? The last time I had net access was Friday. So fine, 3 days. It feels like 4.

Bushnet says the problem is supposed to be resolved within the hour. Gahhhh.

Okay, so other news.

I'm getting pretty well familiarized with the house thanks to Liz. It'll be likely in the time that I'm here that I might be sole ward of the house from time to time so I had to learn about the general day to day things... the dog feeding, security lights, washing machine, etc.

It's far more complicated than the house in Isecheno ever was, it being a compound and all. I got a sense of what regular non-weekend life is like here by starting off today waking up late and scurrying downstairs for a Monday morning staff meeting.

If I thought the AOP meetings were long, they were nothing compared to this meeting. Everyone has things to talk about and ideas to share, and we tended to go off on tangents quite a bit, and since I didn't know what was being discussed most of the time I phased in and out. It didn't help that one of the puppies kept tugging on my pant leg either.

I did get a chance to show a little of my (now experienced and expert) opinions with regard to marketing and merchandise. It did feel like my element, which was nice.

Also, they've been struggling for a year to put PayPal donations up on their site with little to no success, which strikes meas odd because it took me about 2 hours to set the whole thing up on Mason's site.

So, that's something I'll be doing here.

After the meeting, I started my training with Liz. It's all pretty basic, and I feel like I have a good grasp on most of it. There's tons more to be done, considering she essentially does Development here and Merchandise/Marketing, so I'll see what all I can bring to the table. The donations system seems pretty passive, too. So... we'll see what we can do about that.

I didn't sleep well at all last night, and I lay awake in my bed thinking about my relationships (not just sexual/romantic). It's hard not to feel sort of separated from yourself, because what really defines you? The things you do? The people you hang out with? The things you talk about? So, being separated from myself, I was doing a little forced perspective.

I think I'll get more homesick probably once I can go online and see all the things I'm missing. I hope grysar's party went well.

But yea, sleeping has been weird and slightly difficult. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Even though I stayed up reading a big packet o' stuff Liz gave me to read so that I'd have some free time today, I don't think that I'll get to go to the Post Office today. Drats.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment