Friday, July 22, 2005

En Route

USA time: Friday, 4:32 am

Rome time: 10:34 am

We're approaching Rome, where we're apparently stopping to get fuel but I don't think anyone is actually getting off the plane. According to the map, I'm hovering over the Ligurian Sea. 

I managed to get some sleep on the plane. I can't say that Ethiopian Airlines is the best carrier I've ever flown... In comparison with my last flight on KLM, or the flight before on Virgin Atlantic, the accommodations are a bit sparse. I awoke about 2 hours ago to the worst plane turbulence I think I've ever experienced; clearly not the airline's fault, but I've gotta say that I was channeling that first episode of Lost. It was bad!

We had a "delicious" breakfast of icy cold croissantish and dinner roll, along with fruit cup and yogurt cup. At this point, I'm still in a haze, as I didn't go to "bed" until probably 11 pm. I bought a copy of Harry Potter in the airport, determined to read it before anyone else spoiled things for me inadvertently like an asshole and I spoiled it for someone else by recounting the story (sorry grysar!!)

I'm already on page 303, and I can totally agree with lampbane that reading it has whisked me away from the flight entirely, making the hours go by seamlessly. 

Although I have a window seat, I've barely been looking out the window, engrossed! 

The plane is nearly empty... most of the people who are in the center aisle have the entire section to themselves and have conveniently stretched out over 3 seats. I've got the double-seater side to myself, but somehow stretching across 2 airplane seats isn't quite as luxurious.

WOW. I just looked out the window and saw the most beautiful view of a mountain range... I wonder which one it is!! [takes picture]. Sun-glinted peaks and lower hills with clouds just hovering over the apex.

Hopefully the pictures will capture some element of how beautiful it is.

Getting on the flight, I finally felt the rush of excitement ... the next time I got off the plane, I'd be in Africa. So much of my time is always spent in self-doubt, but when I can tangibly feel my love for Africa, and my excitement to return, and alas, my lack-of-forethought as I packed the addresses of my friends in Kenya into the Shack!

Regardless, it says a lot about Harry Potter that it can tear me away from my window view.

Hopefully I'll be able to post this once I reach Addis Ababa.

No comments:

Post a Comment