Friday, July 22, 2005

Surreal

USA time: Friday, 6:18 am

Rome time: 12:18 pm

Okay, so we landed in Rome. We've been here about an hour, it seems, I think. We can't get out of the plane, so they have us just... uh, sitting here? In our seats? (We can also walk around) while these Italian guys vacuum and clean the plane. 
I won't say, however, that listening to them talk in Italian isn't really hotI sort of feel like one does at the end of a movie if you sit all the way until the end of the credits and they turn on the lights and people come in to start cleaning? 

... Like I'm not supposed to be here? They also have rather loudly started cycling their muzak again...

I commented to Mason in our last conversation about the muzak.. they seem to have about 5 songs total. One that's relatively Kenny G sounding, but they've also got a celtic flute version of "Can't Live (If Living is Without You)" and "End of the Road," made ever-popular by Boyz II Men (chuckles).

And, the finale which is Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair"... But those are the only songs they've got. So they just keep playing them over and over. 

It lends itself to a very surreal feeling, sitting on this plane, acting as if we were airborne, while Italian guys prowl the aisles with little wheeled vacuum cleaners. Also, the tiredness is hitting me, where I can feel my eyeballs pulsing inside my skull. My brain is so confused - it's day outside! Also, all of the announcements made on the plane are first announced in Ethiopian, and then in English. It's very disorienting. Because it seems like they say a lot more in Ethiopian than they do in English. 

What aren't they telling me?!?

In other news, I'm only 2, 786 miles from Addis Ababa at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment